Signs That A Planning Meeting Isn't Going Well
- Lots of churn - talking about scenarios that have not already been considered; there is a feeling that every scenario, regardless of how unlikely one may be, must be given consideration
- Adding features and getting SWAGs
- Losing focus - frequent digressions, squirrels, going down sidetracks, etc.
- Paralysis - everything requires consensus; no one makes a decision; all points of view have equal weight/value
- Trying to put 10 lbs of sand into a 5-lb bag. There are too many items, so instead of reviewing a prioritized list of features with estimates, the group looks at the entire product backlog and arbitrarily manipulates scope, efforts, resources, etc. to create the predetermined release scenario
- People other than SW devs and SQE design technical solutions and estimate effort for their contrived solutions (e.g., "it shouldn't be hard to . . . . "; "it would be easy just to . . . ")